It's that time of year again...when we make resolutions and vow to change everything in our lives to make this year the BEST YET! I'm not so much about resolutions, but about goals and making small positive changes to make you grow and feel better.
One of the things I hear day in and day out, is how long people have been putting up with their back pain. Upwards of 85 percent of adults experience low back pain in their life, with 20 percent calling it disabling. We've come to accept these aches & pains and take it as a part of modern living. How many times have you said to yourself, "well, it's just the way it is..." So why not choose to do something about it!?
So I propose for this year, think about your back. Your neck. Your feet. Think about your musculoskeletal system like you would think about your car. It needs maintenance. It needs an MOT. It's a rugged, well oiled machine that needs the proper fuel and rest to function at full capacity.
So stop accepting those niggling aches & get some treatment to feel the best you can! It's incredible how a couple of sessions of hands-on manual therapy like osteopathy can alleviate the pain you've been feeling for years! And when you're not in pain, you can exercise harder, work more efficiently, and feel happier.
So when you're thinking about a long list of unattainable resolutions, perhaps think of them in a different way:
1) eat more healthily to give you more energy and feel less sluggish
2) exercise regularly to help provide strong muscles to support your body and a strong heart to pump your blood
3) do a pilates or yoga class to not only relax but strengthen your back and stretch your legs
4) spend less time sitting and more time moving
5) take time to play, be silly, and have fun so that the stress and tension of modern life don't accumulate in your body
6) ...and sleep... it's the most important thing for your physical and mental health overall!!